First tries using McStas

artus at obiwan.kri.physik.uni-muenchen.de artus at obiwan.kri.physik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Nov 19 13:35:00 CET 1998

Hello Kristian,

I'm making good progress with my calculations. Good in a sense, that I
hope to be quite familiar with McStas now. 'Bad' in a sense, that the
results already led to some changes to the instrument and we have a
lot more work to do now...

I have a small suggestion for the next version of McStas: It would be
nice to get a rough estimate on the total calculation time needed at
the beginning of any job. It should be no problem estimating the time
for the calculation of 1E+8 neutrons after having calculated the
first 100 neutrons. A short note on the screen would be nice.

Did I tell you about the difference in the angular profiles between
beamline and McStas at the end of the tapered guide? Beamline gives me
a rather regular profile, while McStas calculates some extra maxima at
about 11 minutes of arc (looks like Batman). The difference is not
extreme but large enough to again think about the guide. I should send
you the files if you want to have a look at them.

I don't know what to do about the PGPLOT problem. May I refer to your
offer of giving you an account here?

Best wishes,

Georg