v1.17A

Farhi farhi at ill.fr
Tue Nov 16 18:43:23 CET 1999

Hy,

I've installed the version 1.17A of McStas.

Problems :
1-Definition of components change sometimes (for instance Guide2). The
version of in14_6 that I posted you uses the old Guide2.comp definition
(from unofficial page). The new one which is included in the McStas
distribution uses different parameters...
2- Some help sections in components have disappeared since previous
versions

Undocumented :
Channeled_guide.comp
DivPos_monitor.comp
Divenergymon.comp
Guide2.comp
Mosaic_multi.comp
Res_monitor.comp
Res_sample.comp
Source_div.comp
Source_flat.comp
Source_flux.comp

3- The MCGui seems to work ok  My comments are : would it be possible to
make a-Highlight syntaxing, such as in nedit or vim, with C based
template and MCSTAS macros added  By the way, it is possible for
instance to customize the 'Shell' menu of NEdit in order to execute some
mcstas operations.
Perhaps a good option would be to optionally use the EDITOR variable,
and use the mcgui one as default. mcgui could then check for changes in
file and warn if unsaved before compiling.
b- I guess you intend to add some copy/paste and search/replace features
sometimes... (with Unix mouse text mode right now). Ctrl-C, X and V seem
to work ok.

4- I've tried to obtain the HMI Vitess program. No way to compile it on
my Mac PPC G3. And it appears quite monolythic (no way to create/modify
components or instrument structure)

5- We've planed a Monte-Carlo unofficial workshop on

                           January 21th 2000.

You're invited of course. The aim is to gather efforts concerning MC
simulations (i.e. Shadow, Vitess, McStas, Restrax, ...) even if I think
that some dev team won't be keen on cooperating.
Concerning McStas, it means presenting some instrument templates for
each kind of instrument here at ILL : TAS, Diffractometers, TOF,
backscattering, etc...
For reflectometers, handling neutron interferences is not straight
forward yet (need to propagate the neutron phase also)
For SpinEcho, we should get further in designing magnetic components...
Also we need to create some efficient samples for testing instruments.
Powder is ok, need crystals...

In order to achieve those points, we are now gathering McStas users at
ILL.

6- After discussion, the 'chiefs' think it's better to have a specific
ILL page for instruments, components, and documentation. Links would
reach the Risoe site.

Does all this sounds ok for you ?
Cheers. EF.

--