[mcstas-users] Virtual experiment problem

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue May 28 16:25:26 CEST 2013

Hi Tom,

Is it correctly understood that your first instrument is run with 1e8 neutrons? - Doing so gives me only ~ 8000 neutrons in the virtual output file, which in any case is a very low number. As a rule of thumb, I would never go below ~ 1e5-1e6 events in a virtual input/output file, you risk imposing bias on your results because of the poor statistics.

I the attached, I have improved on your instrument files

pdc1:
* To follow loss of the neutrons through the instrument, I have added various PSD's and wavelength-monitors.
* The bandwidth of a Monochromator Bragg reflection is a few percent - so simulating the full range of 1-2 Å kills a lot of your neutrons. I suggest using [1.57 1.63]  - then 1e8 neutrons produces ~ 135000 events in your virtual_output file

pdc2:
* Using both a SPLIT and repeat_count is meaningless - they do the same, namely repeat incoming neutrons. This means that you repeated your 8000 neutrons above 10000 times each. I would rather look at the number of reflections in your Fe.laz and use that number as an over bound on the repetition ~ 50.
* I have used the d_phi parameter of PowderN to restrict the Debye-Scherer cones to what the detector sees (180*atan(30/120)/PI ~ 14 degrees - have made it 30 for safety.
* I have put frac and tfrac parameters of PowderN to zero, thereby suppressing incoherent scattering and description of the "direct beam".
* I have added another banana-shaped detector BEFORE the radial collimator, with restore_neutron=1.
* I have added the input parameter Div that parametrizes the collimator divergence.

The added banana-shaped detector shows that your radial collimator is what suppresses the peak, see attached graphics for the r=2 mm sample case

My feeling is that 12 minutes of arch becomes much to restrictive when you are studying the small sample - the natural divergence from the 4 mm wide sample is 180*atan(0.4/120)/PI ~ around 11 minutes of arch, which is around what your collimator accepts, so only the strongest reflections stand a chance.

Hope this helps,

Peter