[mcstas-users] Question please

Mahmoud Yaseen Suaifan mahma7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:41:40 CET 2018

Dear Dr. peter,
Thank you so much for the nice detailed reply.

Kindly find my corresponding Q's & comments:

1) Here i'm following the preference of sharing questions on this open
forum for the sake of benefit for all. I'm still newcomer. Thanks for
telling me this new info.

2) Regarding source defining:
Please allow me to elaborate a little:
Assume i choose combination 1
( dist & rectangle focus) :
If tube nose (immersed in pool reflector tank) has:
Area of A1 and thermal calc. flux at nose (by MCNP)  = X in units of [
 n/cm^2.sec].
Let's pay attention to units please.
Focused to some neck @ dist=R and area A2.

So i enter in McStas value of I1= X as it is? Since i'm defining also
source radius (A1) & dist & A2 ( internally by default McSras controls
solid angle)??!!. Or shall i do some pre-calculations? Like divide by some
solid angle (omega subtended by focus rect.) or 2pi. (One side of emiting
disk source ) Or 4pi or so?

Back to units: McStas output by monitor or detector (counts/sec) am i right?
So if i want to check my source functionality putting a monitor exactly at
z=0 (0.0001 more realstic). What will be the expected result keeping in
mind value of X & its units? How to compare initial & losses ( I understand
these are statistics) & ( i understand that  for comparison research
purposes, the initial input is not important that much) but i'm looking for
some logical explanations for values to feel satisfied more & have a close
view on the mechanism it works.

3) Sorry i didn't attached any (file.instr) since it is still scratches.
But thank you for the examples ( honestly, still haven't got the chance to
check them, but i'll do ASAP). Appreciated.

4) Regarding the suggested workshop:
It's a great idea and i'm really interested but i'm thinking how can i
afford the costs ( flight, accomodation, ..etc). To me, I guess it's
difficult to find financial support at least at this stage. Hope the best
for all.

Sorry for the lengthy email.
Thanks in advance for any body for any helpful efforts to reply.

Best regards for all.
Mahmoud
March 16th, 2018