About spin ?

Farhi farhi at ill.fr
Wed Mar 8 14:11:32 CET 2000

Hy Kristian

I'm now writing the documentation for components Source_Optimizer,
Monitor_Optimizer and Monitor_nD. Hope it will be clear and usefull.
I was wondering what you think about neutron spin. I mean the fact that
you have s1 and s2 [ STATE PARAMETERS (x,y,z,vx,vy,vz,t,s1,s2,p) ] in
all components,
but you do not have (sx, sy, sz) except if you really ask for it [
POLARISATION PARAMETERS (sx,sy,sz) ]. In this latter case, one usually
get huge amounts of warning from other components. This is very starnge
as s1 and s2 should contain the same information as sx sy sz, but in a
different way.

What about writing a MACRO that would compute sx, sy sz from s1 and s2,
according to the component orientation, and possibly neutron direction,
and an other one that would do the reverse operation ?

This would make all component beeing able to handle polarisation, and
would thus avoid warnings.

Also, I just point out that writing a component that does or does not
handle polarisation with POLARISATION PARAMETERS symbol makes two way of
programming : in one hand you will use s1 s2, in the other, sx sy sz....

Cheers. EF.

--
Emmanuel FARHI, http://www.ill.fr/tas/people/Farhi.html     \|/ ____ \|/
TAS-Group, Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) Grenoble            ~@-/ oO \-@~