[neutron-mc] Integrated Flux - Discrepancies between McStas and MCNP

George Apostolopoulos gapost at ipta.demokritos.gr
Tue Oct 30 17:22:47 CET 2007

Dear all,

Being a new user of McStas, but with some experience in Monte-Carlo with
MCNP,
one of the first things that I tried to understand was how the
normalization is handled
in McStas. After running some test problems the normalization became
clear but
I noticed some discrepancies between McStas and MCNP which I cannot
understand.

Specifically, consider the following simple example:
Particles emitted by a square (d x d) surface source are counted by a
square
monitor, with the same area (d x d), positioned at a distance D.

I run this problem both in McStas and MCNP and the results I get agree
very well when
D>>d but differ by up to 20% when D~d.
A plain numerical integration agrees with MCNP, but this requires
discussion.

You will find a detailed report in the attached document.

Best regards

Dr. Georgios Apostolopoulos
Institute of Nuclear Technology & Radiation Protection
National Center for Scientific Research "Demokritos"
15310 Agia Paraskevi Attikis, Greece

tel +30-210-650-3731
fax +30-210-653-3431
email: gapost at ipta.demokritos.gr