[mcstas-users] Guide_anyshape question

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Feb 20 09:43:40 CET 2017

Dear Peter,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I was on vacation until this morning.

On 14 Feb 2017, at 09:44 , Peter Link <Peter.Link at frm2.tum.de<mailto:Peter.Link at frm2.tum.de>> wrote:

I successfully used the Guide_anyshape component to simulate an unusually shaped neutron guide. After many attemps to simulate this guide this appears to be the first real solution.

This sounds good - what is the unusual guide shape you want to simulate?

Finally I run into the problem, that this component allows only for one unique mirror property description (generic or table) valid for all faces. I looked at the code of the component, but my c programming skills seam insufficient to solve the problem adding a kind of table of mirror props to the list of faces.

It is true that the component until now only allows a single coating quality, but as I remember the OFF file format allows to specify a face “colour”, which could perhaps be utilised to define an “m” value pr. face…

(I would then propose that we use the empirical parametrisation from Henrik Jacobsen based on Swiss Neutronics data, where the alpha and W parameters are derived from ‘m’ above m=2)

If anybody out there is interested to help me, I would very grateful! Any hint how to do that in a clever way is welcome.

The above is my first thoughts about an entrypoint for the problem - let’s discuss this in more detail off-list maybe?

Best,

Peter

Peter Kjær Willendrup
Senior Research Engineer, Special Advisor

DTU Physics

[cid:image001.gif at 01CCCAF1.5E6331F0]

Technical University of Denmark

[cid:image002.gif at 01CCCAF1.5E6331F0]