[mcstas-users] About McStas 3.3 and optimization mode

Peter Kjær Willendrup pkwi at dtu.dk
Tue Sep 12 21:29:25 CEST 2023

Dear Rubén,

It is true that current releases of McStas do not have this feature in the Python-based tools, and unfortunately the manuals are in need of an overhaul. - The described optimiser was built in to the legacy set of Perl-based tools, more specifically in the mcrun.pl (or mcrun-pl on Windows) command line utility, which is probablyncluded in your McStas 3.1 installation?

Alternatively you are likely able to do most of your optimisation by means of “scans” - i.e. variation of a single parameter at at time?

I can further inform you that the forthcoming McStas v.3.4 will again include an “optimiser”, built into the mcrun Python tool - hopefully 3.4 will be out during this month.

Best,
Peter Willendrup