[mcstas-users] Mcstas on WSL 2

Robert Dalgliesh - STFC UKRI robert.dalgliesh at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Oct 24 15:43:42 CEST 2023

Hi Peter,
I’ve just been trying mcstas 3.4 on windows 10 using the WSL and found some things that could do with being updated in the documentation.

I found that if you make sure that you are running wsl 2 instead of wsl 1 you can run the x-windows apps ‘natively’.
i.e. you don’t need to run Xming which is, to be honest, pretty awful. I found that x-windows disappear when the machine switches of screens etc.

The steps I used were.
Enable these 2 windows features from control panel
Virtual Machine Platform (this may require VM activity to be enabled in the BIOS)
Windows subsystem for linux

Open an administrator level command prompt/power shell
Force the update to wsl 2 by default
wsl --set-default-version 2

Install Ubuntu from the windows store.
If you have already installed a distro. Update to wsl 2 using something like

wsl --set-version Ubuntu-22.04 2

Fire up an Ubuntu terminal, install mcstas as described and run mcgui.

All the best

Rob

=======================================
Dr. Robert Dalgliesh
Small Angle Scattering Group Leader
ISIS Neutron and Muon Source
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Building R3 1.29,
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory​​,
​Harwell Campus,
Didcot