[mcstas-users] Making a component GROUP-compatible

Mads Bertelsen mads.bertelsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:57:08 CET 2014

Dear Sylvain

I do not believe it will be easy to modify the code so that it can be used in a group for your purpose. Henrik Carlsen wrote the component, while I have tested it. The initial ambition was to allow for transparent walls, but it proved quite difficult with the way he set up the code, so I think it was abandoned, I was never asked to test it anyway. In order to make it work in a group, this transparent option would have to work. I do however see a lot of traces of this transparent option in the code, but not in the documentation, so it may be possible to get it working. I will ask Henrik the next time I see him.

The remaining option is to modify the component directly to use different focal points for each wall actually seems easier, as the code is nicely split up for interactions with the 4 different sides of the ellipse. Using this method would require the left and right side of the ellipse to start at the same z coordinate.

I am looking at the version I believe is the newest called 89beta.comp. McStas 2.0 contains an old version, was it updated for McStas 2.1?

Best regards,
  Mads